Knowing how to choose the best size Kegel balls for strengthening helps you get the best results from your Kegel exercises. This Physiotherapy guide helps you know:
- How to choose the best size Kegel balls
- Measuring your internal vaginal size
- Best Kegel balls for small internal size
- Best Kegel balls for medium-large size
- Which Kegel ball exerciser design to choose - single ball or 2 Kegel balls
Kegel Ball Size
Kegel balls are available in a wide range of sizes and styles. This can make it confusing to know the best size Kegel ball to choose for your body and individual needs.
There is no standard Kegel ball size and as a result Kegel balls tend to vary in size considerably between the different brands.
Choosing the Best Size Kegel Balls
Some Kegel balls are better sized to suit the internal vaginal size of some women more than others.
A well fitting Kegel ball that is the right size for you will feel comfortable and stay in the correct position when you are standing upright..
If the Kegel exerciser is too small it can fall out of position. A Kegel ball that is too large can be difficult to insert and feel uncomfortable when inserted.
How to Know your Internal Size
The first step to choosing your Kegel ball is to know your internal vaginal size.
Your internal vaginal size can be generally classified as either small, medium or large.
Small Internal Size
- You can insert 1 finger only comfortably within the vagina
- Never had a vaginal delivery
- Use small tampon
Medium-Large Internal Size
- You can comfortably fit 2 fingers side-by-side within the vagina
- Previous vaginal delivery
- Use regular - large tampons (small tampons move out of position)
Kegel Balls Suited to Small Size
Kegel balls best suited to small internal vaginal size include:
Kegel Balls for Medium-Large Size
Kegel balls best suited to medium-large internal vaginal size include:
- Lelo Beads White 1:3" or 35 mm diameter
- Lelo Beads PLUS 1:3" or 35 mm diameter
- Smartball Uno 1.4" or 36 mm diameter
- JeJou Ami 1.41" or 35.8 mm diameter
Choosing the Best Kegel Ball Design
Kegel balls are available in different designs.
The two basic designs are the single ball kegel exerciser and two balls either molded or harnessed together.
Single Kegel Ball
- Suited to small internal size
- Light weight
Two Kegel Balls
- Suited to medium/large internal size
- Medium to heavy weight
- For progressing Kegel exercises.
Choosing the best size Kegel Ball helps your physical comfort and your ability to retain the Kegel ball exerciser internally for effective pelvic floor strengthening.